Fógra ar Leasú ar Thairiscint: Notice of Amendment to Motion:
That Seanad Éireann
- recognises the role of Joint Policing Committees in facilitating consultation, cooperation and synergy on policing and crime issues between An Garda Síochána, local authorities and elected local representatives;
- recognises the work of Joint Policing Committees in facilitating the participation of the community and voluntary sectors in policing matters;
- recognises the contribution of Joint Policing Committees to the work of An Garda Síochána in the area of community policing;
- calls on the Minister for Justice and Equality to consider the enhancement of the role of the Joint Policing Committees to include a collaborative approach on the part of all the Joint Policing Committee members to realise their considerable potential to benefit local communities;
- calls on the Minister for Justice and Equality to outline the implications for Joint Policing Committees in light of the local government reforms and the establishment of the planned Policing Authority; and
- calls on the Minister for Justice and Equality to consider ways to support and improve the operation of Joint Policing Committees and how they might add value to the work of local authorities, the Gardaí and community organisations to include input from stakeholders who are not Joint Policing Committee members.