Seanad Debate on Direct Provision Report needed-Conway

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Fine Gael Clare Senator, Martin Conway, has today (Tuesday), said that the Seanad needs to urgently debate the findings of the Government’s working group on Ireland's asylum and protection process. Speaking following the launch of the Report by the Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald, TD Senator Conway expressed his support for the recommendations raised in this report.

"I am satisfied that the report has identified the inordinate delay in processing asylum applications as a significant problem for asylum seekers currently in the system.

“I have previously called on the Government to act and to consider an amnesty for asylum seekers that have been in the system for longer than seven years.

“The report reveals a number of recommendations to ensure that no person should be in the system for five years or more.

“The report also makes recommendations on a range of other matters affecting those living Direct Provision accommodation and all those in the protection system.

“The Minister for Justice has said she shares the very real concerns expressed in the report regarding some of the conditions in direct provision accommodation.

“In addition it recommends increasing the direct provision allowance from €19.10 per adult per week and €9.60 per child per week to €38.74 and €29.80 respectively.

“I welcome the very thorough work undertaken by the working group in shedding light on the deficiencies in the operation of the Direct Provision system and I look forward to debating this report in the Seanad shortly.